Thursday, June 21, 2018

Touching lives

Had an amazing day yesterday. Yes, it was Sunday, but that was not the only reason. After spending a near perfect day, I got busy getting things organised for the week ahead. When I went down to the market, I had the most happy encounter with an unexpected family. I met the parents of one of my earliest students. I had worked part time at a play school for a couple of months. My students were toddlers, ages ranging from 2 to 3 years. It was the most amazing 6 months of my life. I learnt more than I taught, was happiest during those 3 hours. That little girl was all grown up now and had started formal school from this academic year. How time flies!

When I joined the play-school, I was not very sure how it would be. I mean I am a no nonsense mother of two, with clearly defined dos and don'ts at home. Would I be able to apply the same set of rules here? Anyways I decided to plunge head on and deal with the situation as it came along. My class started of with just 3 kids. Oh, quite manageable I thought. But with each day I realised it was not that easy. These were babies, leaving the security of their homes and the comfort of their mothers' presence for the first time. I know I cried the day my little one left for play school. Its a pain only a mother can understand. That empty feeling inside, the conflict of emotions. Pride at watching them become independent yet sad that they are growing up so fast. You are happy to see them make new friends and evolve into individuals. But somewhere there's a tug at the heart strings, whispering into your unaccepting mind that you are no longer their world. Your little explorer is hungry to march into the world and discover it by herself.

Teaching is a noble profession, they say. I say, teaching the little children is your way saying thank you for this life that you have. You are actually not teaching; you are nurturing and laying the foundation of a better tomorrow.

Here's to all the teachers out there. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review - START WITH WHY - How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action - by Simon Sinek

If anything, you can call me an impulsive reader – it catches my attention and I pick the book up – and can read almost anything. But self-h...